By JoAnne Foist
Ask anyone what they want to do in life. The answer you’ll most often get goes something like this, “I want to have a positive impact…to make a difference in the world.”
Then, when you ask them how they plan to make an impact, many become stumped. They are waiting for some sort of epiphany. Well here it is: You have to do a little work if you want to make an impact. And here’s the good news, the work is rewarding and fun!
The truth is that you don’t have to be some revolutionary leader to make an impact; you just need to be your authentic self. So if you want to make an impact, practice these five behaviors and you’ll start to make a positive impact on yourself and others.
- Continuous Self-Improvement – People who make an impact are lifelong learners. They follow the idiom, “you grow or you die.” They have a thirst for knowledge and that spark keeps them creative, energized and vibrant. They are constantly looking for ways to grow, learn and improve. They ask lots of questions and maintain an open mind. They are students of the world. This drive to learn acts as a catalyst for inspiring others to do the same.
- Share Information Freely – People who make an impact share their knowledge. They are not hoarders of information; instead they share what they know in hopes of stimulating thought, contemplation and helping others grow. Impactful people teach others and are invigorating to be around.
- Make a Positive Difference – People who make an impact make a difference. They don’t wait until they find THEIR purpose in life, they find purpose in life. People who make a difference find purpose in everything they do. They take action because they realize that all the big and small things they do create an impact. They are conscious of their words and actions and care about the world around them.
- Inspire Others – People who make an impact bring out the best in others. They realize that everyone has unique talents and they seek out and appreciate those talents of others. They sincerely care and show respect for those around them and listen to others with empathy. People want to be heard and understood so this active engagement is what creates a lasting and impactful impression.
- Be Authentic – People who make an impact are secure in who they are and what they believe. They radiate confidence. This authentic confidence creates a memorable impression and builds trust and respect from others.
Do you practice these behaviors? If yes…good for you! If no…why not? Keep in mind that it’s not always changing what you do, but how you do it. Think about each behavior and see how you could adjust. For instance, we all take in information daily. Examine what you’re taking in and determine if it’s enriching or not. And, when you learn insightful information, it’s fun to share. See how easy that was? Also, when you look at this list, you’ll notice that these behaviors are also what make a great leader. That’s because leaders create impact. So don’t wait any longer, incorporate these behaviors and you’ll be making a memorable difference.
If you’re still a bit stumped, perhaps you need more confidence. Signup for our free e-book, Incredible Confidence and you’ll also get the Incredible Confidence training series for free! This will help you become your most confident self and enjoy a richer and more impactful life.
Serious about making an impact? Attend our Powerful Presence Intensive 3-day workshop and learn how to create a powerful presence with a positive and lasting impact.